There are generally two main gateways to the Huatulco international airport (HUX); through Houston from the US/Canada and Mexico City (D.F.) from Mexico. The other way into Huatulco is through direct charter flights (more info below).
- Westjet Airlines – added 2 direct flights a week from Calgary & Toronto starting mid-December.
- Sunwing Airlines makes flying to Huatulco easy with direct charters on Tuesdays from Vancouver, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto during high season from the end of October to the end of April/May.
- Air Canada offers:
- Direct flights to Huatulco from Toronto on Tuesdays & Saturdays in high season.
- 2 daily direct flights from Toronto to Mexico City.
- 4 daily direct flights from Vancouver to Mexico City.
- Direct flights to Houston from Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto & Montreal. From Houston you take a direct flight to Huatulco with Continental Airlines.
- Check Air Canada’s flight schedule for details.
- Air Canada Rouge offers a direct flight once a week from Toronto on Saturdays in high season.
- Air Transat:
- Weekly flights on Mondays to Huatulco from Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver in high season.
- Weekly flights on Fridays to Huatulco starting January 2, 2015 from Toronto.
- Visit www.airtransat.ca or book through your local travel agent.
From the U.S.
- United Airlines have connecting service to Huatulco with flights from Houston.
- Flights typically depart Houston at 11:45AM and arrive in Huatulco between 2:00pm and 2:30pm. In high season, departing flights leave Houston every day except Saturday; return flights leave Huatulco Monday through Thursday.
- SunCountry Airlines fly direct from Minneapolis to Huatulco on Saturdays (High Season only).
- Apple Vacations fly direct from Chicago to Huatulco starting in October and direct from St. Louis, Missouri to Huatulco on Fridays starting in December.
- Interjet flies direct to Mexico City from Miami, New York, San Antonio, Houston and Las Vegas. Aeromexico flies direct Mexico City from Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Fresno, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Ontario, Orlando, Sacramento and San Antonio. These flights offer easy access to Mexico City where you can hop on one of 6 flights a day in high season to Huatulco International Airport.
- Interjet – Our favorite airline in Mexico and the one with the most flights from Mexico City to Huatulco is Inter-Jet. They do not show up on Expedia or other travel search websites but depending on the season can fly from 2 to 4 times a day making it possible to get to Huatulco via Mexico City on the same day. Inter-Jet offers complimentary beverages on the flight and gets two thumbs up!
- Aeromexico flies to Mexico City from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary.
- Aeromexico flies from Mexico City to Huatulco. 2 stops are still necessary, but one does not have to change airlines, which makes it nice (High & Low Season).
- Volaris flies from Mexico City (MEX) to Huatulco (HUX) twice a week on Sundays and Thursdays.
- Aero-Mar flies from Mexico City (MEX) to Huatulco (HUX) or to Puerto Escondido (December only).
- AeroTucan flies from Oaxaca City to Huatulco (High & Low Season)
After flying to Huatulco and arriving in paradise, the taxi has to be the easiest and most cost effective way to get around. There are so many taxis that you don’t have to worry about going to a taxi stand. Simply standing at the side of the road where you are and waiving for a taxi should be sufficient…and you won’t have to wait long. All taxi rates are set in advance based on distance and most local trips should cost you anywhere between $20-$50 pesos. Once you start to stray outside the immediate town expect to barter with your driver on the cost to take you to a destination.
Rental Car Locations
- Oaxaca Car Rental – their prices tend to be a little less expensive and they are willing to work long term rentals deals if you are down for a longer period of time. Their cars have always been clean, run well, and they have never been late for an appointment or blown a rental deal. For reservations please contact Patricio Hernandez at 958 581 0293 or email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit www.oaxacacarrental.com.mx. Their address is: Blvd. Benito Juarez s/n, Local 5, Bahia de Tangolunda
- Hertz – certainly a well know rental company, they have friendly English speaking staff. Their rates are less expensive however I would like to see the company pay a little more attention to detail and the condition of their vehicles. It is certainly an option but I would consider it a second option. Please contact Angeles Monterrubio at: 958 103 5396 or email: email@example.com Blvd. The address is: Benito Juarez Num.8, Local 1 Int.
- Europcar – located at the Crown Pacific Bahia de Tangolunda. Visit www.europcar.com.mx.
We are happy to offer airport transportation with our professional driver. We offer airport sign with guest name(s), safe transport to your destination point and luggage service to your accommodation. Contact us for details.
There are really multiple levels of buses along the entire coastline but the one that most people will be interested in are the trans-regional buses. The Ado station in Huatulco is the launching point for your journeys to the east or west of Huatulco. These buses are usually very clean with comfortable seats and are consistent with what we would have in Canada or the United States. The fees are very reasonable, and if you don’t mind a couple of extra stops before you reach your ultimte destination, then this is a great way to do it on the cheap. A bus from Huatulco to Puerto Escondido will set you back about $80 pesos.